Boom Days 2017 Theme – Wolftone Mine
History of the Wolftone Mine
The Underground Banquet took place January 1911. This map shows the location of the Wolftone Mine buildings, shaft and the Underground Banquet Hall as they were then.
Click on the Menu Button on the upper left part of the map to see information about the shaft and Banquet Hall for a narrative and to view historic photos of the mine buildings and banquet.
To open it in full window please follow the link – Wolftone Mine Map
Wolftone Mine 1878 to 1919 (Draft 2 9 17)
Named after: “Theobald Wolfe Tone, posthumously known as Wolfe Tone (20 June 1763 – 19 November 1798), was a leading Irish revolutionary figure and one of the founding members of the United Irishmen, and is regarded as the father of Irish republicanism and leader of the 1798 Irish Rebellion.” Wikipedia
1878 Wolftone shaft started water problems stopped work with no ore found.
1880 Agassiz Consolidated Mines takes over Wolftone, H. Stotsbury President, a Georgia capitalist.
Agassiz installed pumps but operations continued to be limited by pump capacity.
1882 Shaft reaches 600 feet and makes the deepest ore discovery in district
Pump capacity continues to limit production and exploration.
1885 Water controlled by installation of new pumps with capacity of 1000 gpm from 1000 feet, said to be largest installed in the western U.S.
1886 Wolftone is the largest producer in district, $25,000 per week Leadville Daily/Evening Chronicle, November 6, 1886 ($6,600,000 2015 GDP/capita measuringworth.com).
Expenditure to date $200,000 ($52,000,000 2015 GDP/capita worth.com).
1887 -1888 Wolftone largest producer in district
1889 Started major mill and hoisting capacity expansion
Dec 1889 Expansion behind schedule, Agissiz Consolidated goes into receivership.
Reorganized as Wolftone Mining and Milling, E. B. Hendrie president.
1891 Wolftone leased to D. Moffatt and Eban Smith known as Wolfone Lease)
Shaft deepened to 900 feet.
1892 to 1897 Wolftone operated by D. Moffatt and Eban Smith with other Carbonate Hill mines.
Wolftone production is variable Moffatt Smith lease ended 1897.
1897 Woltone Mining and Milling leases to AMW Company Managed by S. D. Nicholson.
Production up to 1200 tons per month.
1899 AMW (Adams, Maid, Wolftone) completes new Wolftone facilities, “7 stack plant” (7 – 100 hp boilers).
1902 Western Mining, Simon Guggenheim, president, S. D. Nicholson general manager consolidates AMW (including Wolftone) with A.Y. And Minnie and by 1906 almost all Carbonate Hill and Downtown mines.
1904 Western Mining producing 20,000 tons per month includes Wolftone production.
1909 Zinc carbonate identified in the Robert E. Lee mine 1 mile north of Wolftone.
1910 Economic production of zinc carbonate from Forest City ½ mile north of the Wolftone
S.D. Nicholson discovers massive zinc carbonate ore bodies in Wolftone, areas measured in acres and up to 100 feet thick
Wolftone begins production of zinc carbonate ore containing up to 40% metallic zinc.
1911 Banquet hall room mined 110′ by 75′ by 10′ produced $150,000 of ore, Harald Democrat Jan. 26 1911, ($22,000,000 2105 GDP/capita dollars measuringworth.com)
January 25 -Wolftone underground banquet, holiday declared in Leadville, Robert Burns birthday.
Nicholsonite a zinc mineral was named after S. D. Nicholson.
January – 26 Wolftone open, visitors include school teachers and the Sisters of Charity from the hospital
Wolftone described as “Bonanza” Herald Democrat, Jan. 26, 1911
1911 to 1915 Wolftone produces 100,000 tons per year of zinc carbonate ore, it is said that Leadville accounted for 10% of U.S. zinc production in 1912.
1916 Most zinc carbonate ore depleted
1919 Post WW I depression worst economic times in Leadville’s history Wolftone closed and the pumps pulled.
Note: zinc carbonate – a group of minerals that are combinations of zinc and silica, carbon and oxygen. They occur where water and oxygen have acted on a mineral made up of zinc and sulfur. “Carbonates” can be highly enriched. Around the turn of the century they were referred to as “calamine” what is now known to be a mixture of smithsonite, zinc carbonate and hemimorphite – zinc silicate.